FAQ For Commercial Buildings
Why do I need an asbestos survey on my building?
Is tax relief available on the price of the works?
For example: if asbestos removal costs £10,000 a company can deduct £15,000 from their taxable income. This also means that if the company made a loss, then they could be eligible for a cash rebate. This concession only applies to UK-registered companies and does not apply if the building or land was owned by the company when the asbestos was originally imported. Ask your company’s accountant or financial advisor for more information on how this might apply to you.
Can we carry out the asbestos survey in-house?
- Have sufficient training, qualifications, knowledge, and experience
- Have sufficient knowledge of the tasks to be undertaken and the work therein
- Demonstrate impartiality, integrity, and independence
- Have a compliant Quality Management System
- Carry out the survey in according with HSG264
In practice, very few property owners or companies can meet these requirements from within their own staff. That is why it is best to engage specialists like Meyer Environmental Ltd. to conduct your asbestos survey. Just use our online contact form, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone 02393 072182
I believe there is no asbestos in my building. Do I still need a survey?
If asbestos is found, does it need to be removed?
Refurbishment works are being planned for my building. Do I need another asbestos survey?
Am I legally required to tell the occupants of my building that it contains asbestos?
- Keep and maintain an up-to-date record of the location, condition, maintenance and removal of all ACMs on the premises
- Repair, seal or remove asbestos if there is a risk of exposure due to its condition or location
- Maintain ACMs in a good state of repair and regularly monitor their condition
- Inform anyone who is liable to disturb the ACMs about their location and condition
- Have arrangements and procedures in place so that work which may disturb the ACMs complies with CAR 2012
- Review the plan at regular intervals and make changes if circumstances change
How do I manage asbestos in my property?
You must create an asbestos management plan using up to date information about asbestos in the building and perform risk assessments. This can be quite a tricky subject and we would advise that you give us a call for consultation.
For any other questions or to book any of our services, just use our online contact form, e-mail email@example.com, or telephone 02393 072182